Redevelopment at Newbury Racecourse
In 2012 Newbury Racecourse and David Wilson Homes agreed to a landmark re-development deal worth up to £42m to build 1500 homes around the site, in one of the biggest projects ever to take place at a British leisure destination. As of the summer of 2015 around 300 homes have been finished.
The western end of the site is almost complete, with the brand new horsewalk and refurbishment of the racecourse stables finished in 2014. The new state-of-the-art Rocking Horse Nursery, Stable Staff Lodge and Owners & Trainers car park are due to be finished in the autumn of 2015.
Elsewhere, the relaying of the internal road network is progressing on schedule with the rebuild of the main car park to the east of the racecourse now well underway, at a cost of £1.2m. The first stage of this, Car Park 4, is now complete and holds space for 700 cars.
DAVID WILSON HOMES
David Wilson Homes is an award-winning house builder founded in 1958. Awarded a 5-star rating by the Homebuilders Association, David Wilson Homes was crowned House Builder of the Year in 2011. You can find out more by visiting the David Wilson Homes website.
With the creation of such a large number of homes around the site, creating a community for those living here is a priority for Newbury Racecourse and David Wilson Homes. A selection of the facilities available to residents including Newbury & Crookham Golf Club, Newbury Racecourse and Sovereign Housing Association are available on the newly-created community website.
PLANNING APPLICATION SUBMITTED FOR RACECOURSE REDEVELOPMENT – JULY 2015
In mid-July 2015 we submitted detailed planning proposals for the racecourse redevelopment work that forms part of the major ongoing development project across the whole site. The residential development on site continues to make very good progress, with most of the Western Area construction now complete and more than 200 homes occupied. The next phase of residential development in the Central Area, which will see the construction of 360 apartments, is due to commence later this year.
The new £6.7m access bridge from the north of the site is well advanced and is expected to be open in time for the three day bet365 Festival, featuring the Hennessy Gold Cup, in late November. This will make a huge difference to the ease of getting in and out of Newbury and will become the major route into the racecourse, reducing traffic loads into all of the car parks, including the new main public car park at the Eastern end of the racecourse, which is now virtually complete.
The new nursery and stable staff hostel buildings are close to completion and will be ready for use in August.We have now completed a detailed review of potential improvements to the racecourse infrastructure, focused on enhancing the racing experience at the same time as generating improved financial returns for the business in the long term.
These proposed development works include:
- A new west entrance and Horseman’s Club facility, with a bar for owners and trainers and a dining area and patio, which will double as a new events venue on non-racedays;
- Two new entrances to create a more attractive and customer-friendly arrival experience;
- A new, more modern administration office immediately above the Horseman’s Club;
- A new pre-parade ring with new saddling boxes adjacent;
- An expansion of the existing parade ring to include a completely new winners enclosure within the parade ring, enhanced viewing for the public and improved facilities for television broadcasters;
- Repositioned pavilion suites on the site of the existing saddling boxes;
- Landscaping around the grandstands;
- Refurbishment of the Berkshire Stand and Pall Mall building to provide improved facilities for both racing and conference customers;
- Subject to planning consent being granted, Phase One will commence in January 2016 and be completed over a two year period.
To view the full planning application, please click the first link below. If you would like to download the Design & Access Statement, it can be found by clicking the second link below and scrolling down to the halfway down the menu on the left hand side of the page.
If you would like to get in touch regarding the redevelopment, please call 01635 40015 or email email@example.com.